|Full Name||Tyler Emmitt Perry Jr|
|Birth date||September 13, 1969|
|Father||Emmitt Perry Sr|
|Mother||Willie Maxine Perry|
|Relatives||Emmbre Perry, Yolanda Wilkins, and Melva Porter|
|Birth Place||New Orleans, Louisiana, U.S|
|Profession||Producer, Actor, Writer, and Director|
|Net Worth||$ 970 million -$ 1 billion|
|Martial Status||In a Relationship|
|Weight||194 lbs (88 kg)|
Tyler Perry is an author, playwright, and director who has built for himself a media empire which comprises of movies and best-selling books.
In this post, we will take a look at Tyler’s life, his bio, family, career, and net worth.
Perry’s Birth and Overview
In this section, we will look at Tyler Perry’s birth and early life.
- Tyler Perry christened Emmitt Perry Jnr. is one of four children. He was born on the 13th of September 1969 in New Orleans. To Louisiana to Emmitt Perry Sr and Willie Maxine Perry. His father was a carpenter.
- He had a very difficult time while growing up. Perry was raised by a physically abusive father, tried taking his own life, and dropped out of high school. Although, he eventually succeeded in passing a high school equivalency exam. He was transformed into the man that he is today by the words of none other than the prominent television personality, Oprah Winfrey.
- While many people who are in the limelight in recent times have a rather smooth ride all the way, He has quite the opposite. In recent interviews with Perry, he disclosed that as a child, he went as far as trying to take his own life as a means of escaping Emmitt’s beating. This was because Emmitt’s approach to everything was to “beat it out of you.” Quite opposite from Emmitt’s behavior, his mother to her best took care of him and was responsible for the life he lives today. She took him to church, which he said was the only place where he felt contentment and refuge.
- At 16, when He had access to legal rights, he swapped his name from Emmitt to Perry in an effort to separate himself from Emmitt. Years later, after He had seen the movie Precious, he was moved to share with the public that he had been abused by his mother’s friend at the age of 10. He went further to share that he was molested by 3 men before that incident. He also learned that Emmitt had abused his friends.
- Although Perry did not complete high school, he furthered his education by getting a GED. As a young man, while watching the famous Oprah Winfrey Show, Tyler heard about how penning down past events was therapeutic. Which he adopted as a vital key to work out his problems. This further propelled Perry into applying the same principle into his own life which served as the root of his musical “I Know I’ve Been Changed”.
In this section, we will take a look at Perry’s career which spans from when he wrote his very first musical to date.
In 1990, Perry made his debut I Know I’ve Been Changed back at a theatre situated in Atlanta where it met quite a bad review from critics. Definitely not the start he expected, but he didn’t give up. He made his comeback 8 years later with I Know I’ve Been Changed Remodeled, which as of this time, good reviews were given about it. In 2005, he made his very first movie Diary Of A Mad Black Woman, which brought to screen for the first time Madea’s character. A year after his first movie which was a huge success, he made a comeback for the Madea character in a movie he titled Madea’s Family Reunion. In 2006, Perry published his first book titled Don’t Make A Black Woman Take Off Her Earrings. The book sold 30,000 copies worldwide and crested at number one on the New York Times all-time best sellers list. In 2007, Perry released the film Daddy’s Daughter and in 2008, he released Meet the Browns, which he made the next year into a television sitcom. Perry’s 13 most well-known movies have earned more than $600 million in the cinematic world altogether, each costing less the $10 million to make.
Perry with endless possibilities has been awarded on several occasions. It was recorded that his remodeled version of I Know I’ve Been Changed was said to have raised about $100 million in tickets and has had about 397 live presentations. He has also won the NAACP awards for the years 2010 and 2011. In 2013, Perry was selected during the People’s Choice Awards as the Favourite Humanitarian. In his career, Perry has been awarded twice by BET, both in 2009 and 2019. His movie, Diary Of A Mad Black Woman in 2005 received a Black Movie Award for Outstanding Achievement in Screenwriting. Also in 2019, Perry was awarded a star by the Hollywood Walk Of Fame for his Madea franchise.
Perry’s Siblings and Parents
Perry, although being lively is quite reserved. He doesn’t really like talking about his personal life unless he’s moved to share. The following is a compilation of the few details he has shared over the years:
- Perry’s Mother; as established above, Perry grew up quite close to his mother since she was always there to take care of him whenever Emmitt beat him up. His mother was the major deciding factor of his choice of religion. She also was the one who introduced him to Christianity. Sadly, she passed away in 2009 after suffering from a disease.
- Perry’s Father; Emmitt Tyler Sr, being abusive created a huge gap between them. Not too long after his mother passed, He got to know that Emmitt Sr wasn’t his biological father. It was after he and his brother got the results of their DNA test that he knew about this. Despite all this, he claims to have forgiven Emmitt for all he had done and still supports him financially.
- Perry’s Siblings; Perry hasn’t said much about his siblings. One thing known to the public so far is that Emmbre, Tyler’s younger brother has chosen to follow in his footsteps as he is trying to find his way in the movie industry. Just like Perry, Emmbre also is a writer, actor, and director.
Despite Tyler’s humble beginnings as a playwright, he gained a massive following. You can say that this propelled him into making his first film; Diary Of A Mad Black Woman early in 2005. After the movie “boomed” and grossed $50 million, Perry forged ahead and created a huge entertainment empire for himself.
According to recent news from Forbes, He is said to have a net worth of $1 billion, and this figure keeps climbing as each minute passes.
Tyler’s love life isn’t a thing well known to the public. But it is known that he is in a relationship with no other than Gelila Bekele. A model, well known for her work with famous bodies such as Levi’s, Michael Kors, L’Oréal, Diesel, and Tony Burch.
Bekele and Perry got to know each other at a concert in 2007 and have been dating ever since. Despite the length of this relationship, he doesn’t say so much about his partner as he is quite private about his relationships. In 2014, Perry and Bekele had a son, Aman, which by the report has proven to have made their bond stronger.
Controversies About Perry
Like every famous face out there, Tyler has also suffered a lot of controversies and scandals. In this section, we will be taking look at a few of such incidences that have challenged him on his rise to fame.
- In 2008, Perry was faced with charges by a well-known writing company. The charges were against his studio, which saw the loss of jobs of 4 writers. However, the company and Tyler found a common ground, and charges were dropped after a month.
- In 2009, Tyler pulled up a case against a company tasked with the preparation of tax. This he didn’t do without having a solid reason. Part of his work was used in an advertisement which had to be stopped due to bad comments by critics.
Fun Facts about Tyler Perry.
Ever wondered or tried to know intricate details about Perry, in this section, we will be sharing some amusing things about him.
- Perry has a soft spot for Tim McGraw as he deemed him his favorite.
- So far, Perry has been the sole designer of every house he had, alongside his studio.
- He also shared how he enjoys making jokes with his new employees; he went on and said that he does know when to stop.
- He also shared that Oprah inspired him to further his writing despite his failures in the early days of his career.
- He made known in an interview that Madea Earlene Simmons, popularly known as Madea was inspired by his mother, Eddie Murphy, and his aunt.