After Christmas, you may be thinking that you probably spent far too much time eating, drinking and lazing around not really doing much, and that is completely normal over the holiday period. Now that the new year has rolled round once again, and the resolutions to get fit and healthy have been made (how many years has that been your resolution?) it is time to do something about it. It’s all very well making plans to go to the gym, but if you don’t enjoy it, then after a few weeks, you will simply stop going again, and won’t see any benefit. So, think about treating yourself and a friend to a spa break instead.
There are over five hundred spas around the world that will accept these vouchers, so whether you are combining it with a holiday or just want a weekend away somewhere to relax, there is somewhere ideal for you. The spas mentioned here are some of the best detox spas in the UK, ideal for that post-Christmas treatment, but if you want to go abroad, there are some excellent options too.
Detox spas in the UK
- Guildford, in Surrey, is home to the Radisson Blu Edwardian, which offers a wide range of facilities within the spa itself, from saunas and aromatic steam rooms to a relaxation area (where you can either read a book or a magazine, or simply drift off for a while) and a swimming pool, to cool off after being in the warmer areas. There are also a number of different treatments available for you to choose from. If brightening your skin is something that you are looking for, then a facial or mud wrap might interest you, or you may prefer a massage to soothe those aching muscles (Christmas can be hard work, after all).
- The Ragdale Hall Health Spa, located in a beautiful building with gorgeous grounds, can be found in Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire. This place is worth the trip simply for the stunning views, but they also offer a full day’s detox programme, which may interest you. This detox day includes full access to all of the spa facilities and exercise classes, along with a three course lunch, in addition to three of the treatments. You will be able to enjoy a full body massage, the Fresh Feet treatment and the energising detox therapy, helping you to move into the new year feeling much healthier.
- If you are based in London, or even just fancy a trip to the capital city, then you can’t go wrong with the spa at the Hotel Verta. The signature detox treatment can only be found at this spa in Bridges Wharf, Battersea, but it is definitely worth making the effort to get there. You will be able to enjoy full use of the spa’s facilities and a two course lunch, and four treatments are also included in the package. These are a back, neck and shoulder massage, a leg and thigh massage (which lasts for two hours and is designed to drain away any excess fluid that accumulates in this region), a full body exfoliation with black sand, and a customised facial designed for your skin type. You can definitely see why they call this one the detox package.
- The Berystede Hotel and Spa in Ascot, Berkshire offers an overnight package designed specifically for the January detox, which includes bed and breakfast, dinner, full use of all spa facilities, twenty minutes on the Power Plate (so you can also say you’ve started exercising – even better!) and your choice of either a facial or a foot massage. Follow this up with a session in one of the heated pools or steam rooms, and then chill out in the relaxation area.
- The Rookery Hall Hotel and Spa, located in the countryside near Crewe, could be the ideal choice if you live in the north and travelling far is not really an option. They offer a detox day spa, with full use of the spa and health club facilities, and two treatments are also included – a body scrub and polish, and a back, neck and shoulder massage.
Do detox days really work?
There is actually evidence to show that some spa treatments genuinely have a detoxification effect on the body, which can explain why you feel better after the session.
- Massage improves blood circulation, reduces blood pressure and prevents the build-up of fluid in the body. It raises the level of hormones that can beat stress, and reduces the symptoms of chronic pain.
- Body wraps work by raising the internal temperature of the body and encouraging the production of sweat. This helps to remove toxins from your body, and can sometimes even result in weight loss. Just be careful that your body temperature doesn’t go too high, and stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water before and during the treatment.
- Some spa treatments may seem as though they are purely designed for rest and relaxation, but even this can offer considerable benefits. Facial treatments, in particular, can be extremely soothing, allowing you to feel calm and at ease. Many claim to be anti-ageing treatments, and part of this is due to the reduced stress levels, which means that wrinkles become less noticeable on your face. A thorough cleansing can remove dirt, grease and sweat, reducing any skin problems and making your skin look younger and firmer as a result.
So, next time you are wondering whether to book a detox spa session, stop thinking about it and just do it. They have proven benefits, so you will definitely notice an improvement.
Below is a cool infographic :