GRILLED POTATOES WITH CHICKEN BREAST
By Baba Pandey
Published: July 18, 2011
Chicken is one of my favorite foods to eat. But more than chicken, it is potatoes that I’ve loved all my life, even as a little kid. I understand how tough it is for mothers or grandparents to make little children eat veggies, let alone like them!!!
I also have noticed through all these years that “aloo” was a veggie that kids have always been more than happy to eat! What could be better than to add chicken to the dish to make it complete. It’s tastier, it’s healthier and I can guarantee that almost anyone would end up eating a bigger portion!
Grilled potatoes with chicken breast was a dish that was born out of pure “experimentation” in the kitchen when my sister and I had just begun to like the idea of learning “how to cook”! It is fairly simple, it isn’t messy and well, it tastes wonderful.
You can choose to cook potatoes and chicken breast in the oven or even a microwave. Pick what suits you better but do try it!
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 45 min
Total time: 1 hour 05 min
Yield: 6 servings
Serving size: 1 medium slice
Calories per serving: 250
Fat per serving: 12g
full cup of yogurt (dahi):
- One medium sized chicken (pick chicken breasts)
- One (1) full cup of yogurt (dahi)
- One and a half (1 ½) tablespoon of salt, or to taste
- One (1) tablespoon pepper
- Two (2) tablespoons ginger and garlic paste
- One (1) tablespoon chicken masala
- Two (2) tablespoons of oil
- Four (4) small sized potatoes
• Take about 4 small sized potatoes. Do NOT peel the potatoes. Wash them and dice them in smaller size and keep the skin on the potatoes.
• Wash the chicken breast pieces and place with the potatoes.
• You need to then make a marinade using:
• Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Marinade the chicken and potatoes for at least three (3) hours. I prefer to keep it overnight.
• Oven cooking:
-Take a baking tray. Coat it with oil and then cover it with foil paper that is oiled or buttered.
-Place the chicken breasts and potatoes in the baking tray.
-Heat the oven at 200 degrees and cook for twenty (20) minutes.
-Keep adding the marinade if you feel that the chicken is getting too dry.
-The chicken and potatoes must soak all the marination in order to stay soft.
-Turn the chicken and potato pieces over and bake for another 20 minutes.
• Microwave cooking:
-Take a microwave dish/bowl. Coat it with oil and then cover it with foil paper that is oiled or buttered.
-Place the chicken breasts and potatoes in the microwave dish/bowl.
-Set the microwave on “GRILL” mode and set the time for fifteen (15) minutes. Press START.
-Give it standing time of 3-4 minutes.
-Turn the chicken and potato pieces over and again microwave at “GRILL” mode for another fifteen (15) minutes.
-Remember to keep adding the marinade to the dish so it can soak all the marinade and stay soft.
-Allow 3-4 minutes standing time.
-Serve hot with onion salad!