Owning your first family home can be incredibly exciting for both the adults and the kids in your family as you begin your life together. However, owning your first home can also come with a lot of responsibility as you try to maintain and create a wonderful and relaxing space for your family. Things do not always go to plan and here are some top points to be aware of within your first family home.
What are the most common home repairs?
Even if you have only just moved into a house, it is likely that there will be home repairs that need to be completed. If you are worried about any of these, here are some of the most important home repairs that you should not put off.
- Electrical issues can cause fires, prevent you from using appliances and can even cause you or your family to be electrocuted. Electrics should be changed every 20 years within homes and yet many people leave these renovations to the last minute. You should always be aware of when your wiring was installed and whether it is due for a change.
- Burst pipes and leaks can cause huge issues for families and are especially a problem if you want to move into your home during the winter months, when freezing conditions may burst your pipes or the house might sit cold for a little while between occupiers. If this happens, or your pipes start to leak, pascoesgasandwater.com.au can help you to solve the leaking pipe that you have within your home and prevent the issue from ruining your new abode.
- If you bought a house that has an older boiler, boiler problems can leave you without hot water or heating throughout the colder months. To solve these, you should make sure that you get your boiler serviced regularly to ensure that there is no issue with your heating before you settle in.
Once you have found the issue with your home, you should then decide whether you can complete this DIY or whether you need to hire a professional to help you to solve the problem. Some of the issues that you can solve yourself include replastering and painting, as well as fixing minor leaks in your roof and restoring caulking to windows.
What are the signs of house problems?
When you are a first-time homeowner, you might not know the issues that you need to be aware of or the signs of these that you need to check for. Some of the most common signs that there is something wrong with your house include:
- There are often cracks in the walls of houses with poor structural issues, which are becoming increasingly common in new build homes. You might also find that your windows and doors are sticking or that your wallpaper is peeling.
- If there is an issue with your plumbing, you might begin to smell sewage or stagnant water inside or outside your home. You might also be able to smell some pollutants and toxic gases, although many of these have no smell at all.
- You might notice that your roof is bowed or that you have leaning or bulging walls, which could be indicators of issues with your foundations or even damp.
- If you have electrical issues, you might find that you see sparks when using appliances. Both electrical and plumbing issues might be discovered by a low amount of electricity or water in your appliances.
What do you need to do when there is a problem?
- You first need to carry out a survey on your home both before and after you buy it to ensure that any problems are diagnosed, as this will allow you to isolate the cause of the problem and ensure that you can properly repair it. This is especially important when you come to sell your home.
- If you have a new house, you should contact the construction agency that built your home. They may be legally required to fix your home, or to give you compensation – many cases like this are going to court if expectations are not met. If this does not work, you might consider contacting the press to tell them about your experience.
- You should also contact your insurer to make sure that you can be reimbursed, and then hire a professional to help you to fix the issue that is causing your home problems. This will enable you to begin your family life much more smoothly and ensure that you can return to normal as soon as possible.