Dating can bring about so many different emotions and feelings. On one hand, you’re excited at the thought of meeting someone new but on the other hand, you feel your palms getting sweaty and your heart racing, also, at the thought of meeting someone new. If you’re someone who has or currently is experiencing those different feelings, then you’re not alone.
Dating is definitely supposed to be a fun time in your life but for some people, it’s a painful experience. A lot of people tend to let their nerves get the best of them making them look socially awkward or clumsy; some people let dating stress them out so much so that they aren’t willing to even take a chance of meeting someone new… there goes your missed opportunity at possibly finding happiness.
Whether you’re going on your first date or going on your 5th date, don’t let the jitters of dating stress you out. Take a look at some ways that you can enjoy the highs and lows that come with dating.
First Things First: Understand What Dating Is
In the world of dating, as you already know, it can be very stressful. A lot of the times, the things that people stress about with dating are things that are nothing to stress over. Why is that? Because they don’t have a full understanding of what dating actually is.
People have their own preconceived notions about what a typical date is supposed to look like and how it is supposed to go based on what they see on movies and television. The reality is, your dates don’t have to fit any textbook idea. Instead of dinner and a movie for a first date, you can opt for an out-of-the-box first date idea… but first, make sure you have a clear understanding of what dating is and what it isn’t.
- A chance to meet new people. Whether you meet online or through mutual friends, this is your opportunity to broaden your circle of friends, even if nothing romantic comes from it.
- Let your hair down a bit and take the time to really enjoy the date.
- A way to get you out of your comfort zone. Sometimes you need to break out of your shell to find out who you really are.
- What you make of it. If you have a negative attitude towards dating, you’ll get negative results. Keep a positive outlook; even if you’re only dating to romantically meet your needs.
- A race. There is no need to rush into something serious until you know exactly what you’re looking for and have an understanding of what the other person is looking for as well.
- A one and done type of deal. In order to find out what you’re looking for in a potential mate, you have to go on multiple dates. You won’t know anything based off of one date.
Tips to Stress-Free Dating
If you’re not yourself, then who are you? When going on dates, you, of course, want to look and dress nice but don’t deter from who you truly are just to impress someone on a date. Doing that is really why people say “their true colors will show later on.” They say that because you may be able to fool someone for the first few dates but you can’t keep up that facade for too long… that’s why it’s easier to just be yourself.
Keep Conversation Light and Simple
A date isn’t the time to discuss politics and religion… it’s a time to get to know that person. Strike-up conversation on universal topics like their favorite type of music, movies, or food. Food is always a good topic because everyone likes to eat.
Normally when the subject of food is brought up, the next question is “can you cook?” The response to that question for either a man or woman is always mentally noted and will help you be remembered.
Date With Confidence
Now, the keyword here is confidence… not arrogance. Both men and women find confidence very attractive. So as you get ready for your date, wear what you feel most confident in and knock that date out the park. Remember, when you look good, you feel good. Meetmindful.com gives tips on how to date with confidence and one of the key points it mentions is shifting your mindset.
Don’t Stress Over Rejection
In the world of dating, you have to know that every date isn’t going to be one that will turn into marriage. Whether you choose to not go on another date with someone or they chose to not see you again, it’s an experience you should learn from; that’s how you have to look at it… it’s definitely not anything to stress over.