Have you had the same hairstyle for years? Have you worn the same wardrobe, or used the same makeup techniques for longer than you’d care to admit? If so, you’re not alone. Many women get comfortable in their beauty routines, and consider changing a waste of time and money. And while there’s a lot to be said for not fixing what isn’t broken, making subtle changes in your look can be a very positive thing. Keep reading for tips on updating your look, all of which are simple, affordable and effective.
Okay, ladies. We all know the importance of a flattering hairstyle; however, that doesn’t mean keeping the same “flattering” cut and color for years. On the contrary, the trick to a great hairstyle is knowing when to make a subtle change. For example, tips like the following can keep your look modern and fresh, without making any major changes.
- Fresh color: Your usual cut can look new and glamorous thanks to some fresh color or highlights. To avoid anything too dramatic, stay within a couple shades of your natural hue, and, unless you’re into bolder looks, avoid funky or unnatural colors. If you’re unsure about all-over color, it’s great to visit hair highlighting salons and ask about subtle streaks or ombre highlights. Generally, they will be more than happy to discuss coloring options with you. These options will freshen up your look, without overpowering it.
- Bangs: The bangs trend isn’t going anywhere anytime soon, and with good reason. Fringe is flattering on most women, and is probably more versatile than you may think! You can sweep bangs to the side, let them graze your brows, or add interest with a side braid, barrettes or a headband.
- Long layers: No matter which type of cut you prefer, long layers can add volume and bounce, without the anxiety of a major cut. Plus, long layers are easier to style than single-length cuts, and can save you time on your morning routine!
Like hairstyles, makeup techniques should be updated every so often not only to account for trends, but because of the changing needs and appearance of your skin. For example, certain formulas are specifically designed for younger skin, while others work best on women in their thirties and over. Plus, certain trends and techniques aren’t meant for everyday wear, and can throw your whole look off balance. To freshen up your approach to makeup, try tips and techniques like the following:
- Switch up your lip color: Most of us probably have a pretty good idea of what lip color looks best on us. However, this doesn’t mean you shouldn’t experiment with fresh new looks. A simple change in lip color can revive your whole look and send your confidence skyrocketing.
- Experiment with “less is more”: Piling on the cosmetics is never a good thing. Try a minimal approach by sticking with the basics: tinted moisturizer, bronzing powder, mascara and lip-gloss. Your skin will thank you, and you’ll save tons of time on your makeup routine.
Yes, you want to have a stylish wardrobe, but that doesn’t mean you want to spend a small fortune on clothes, shoes and accessories. Thankfully, the following tips can help update your look, without breaking the bank:
- Choose mix-and-match pieces: To enhance your wardrobe’s longevity, look for pieces in classic cuts, colors and patterns. Basic items never go out of style; plus, they can be dressed up or down, and are great for layering.
- Have fun with accessories: Nothing updates a wardrobe like fun accessories. Jazz up a ho-hum outfit by adding statement pieces like a cocktail ring, dangling earrings, bold bangles or a bib necklace. Just don’t overdo it! Choose two or three pieces, maximum.
- Buy secondhand: Thrift stores are virtual treasure troves of fashion. Get in on this trend, as quickly as possible. Another option is throwing a closet swap party. Volunteer as hostess, and encourage your girlfriends to bring all the clothing, shoes and accessories they no longer wear. Swap one item for another, and end up with a brand new wardrobe, without spending a dime!