Indian curries are known for their rich taste….mind boggling flavors….texture and magical assortment of spices….the Indian curry is aromatic…. Magically spiced wet gravy that is sure to tickle your taste buds….when these Indian curries are thin in texture, they are usually devoured with some rice….and if an Indian curry calls for a thick delicious gravy, it is more often than not, relished with a flat bread like a rotis/chapatti, naan, parantha….
Shabnam curry’s a popular mughal cuisine prepared with green peas and mushrooms in a delicate paste of spices, ginger….garlic…onions…tomatoes and cashew nuts….
It was passed on to me by my grandmother who could create magical wonders with this dish! I prefer eating this dish either with jeera rice or laccha parantha….
- Two hundred (200) grams of fresh mushrooms (khumb/ dhingra) – each chopped into four (4) pieces
- Half (1/2) a cup of peas- boiled or frozen
- Half (1/2) a cup of corns- boiled or frozen
- One fourth (1/4) cup of cashew nuts (kaju)
- Half (1/2) a cup of curd / yogurt/ dahi
- One (1) teaspoon of ginger (adrak) paste
- One (1) teaspoon of garlic (lahsun) paste
- Two (2) onions (pyaz) – ground to a fine paste
- One fourth (1/4) teaspoon of nigella seeds (kalongi)
- Half (1/2) teaspoon of cumin seeds (jeera)
- One (1) teaspoon of salt or to taste
- Half (1/2) teaspoon of red chili powder
- One (1) teaspoon of fenugreek leaves (kasoori methi)
- Two (2) tomatoes- pureed and sieved
- Two (2) cloves (Laung) and seeds of two (2) green cardamoms (choti Elaichi)- crushed together
- Grind the cashew nuts (kaju) and curd (dahi/ yogurt) to a fine paste. Puree the tomatoes. Strain the tomato puree and then keep aside in a bowl.
- Mix oil, onions, nigella seeds (kalongi), cumin seeds (jeera), ginger (adrak), garlic (lahsun), red chilies, turmeric powder (haldi), garam masala and the salt in the dish. Mix well and microwave for about five (5) minutes.
- Add the pureed and sieved tomatoes along with the fenugreek leaves (kasoori methi). Microwave for about four to five (4-5) minutes
- Now add one (1) cup of water and mushrooms (khumb or dhingra). Microwave covered for about five (5) minutes.
- Next, throw in the peas, corn, crushed cloves (Laung) and green cardamoms (choti Elaichi). Add the cashew nut (kaju) paste. Microwave this uncovered for about four to five (4-5) minutes.
- Serve hot!