|Full Name||Scottie Maurice Pippen|
|Birth date||September 25, 1965|
|Kids||Scotty Jr, Sierra, Sophia, Justin, Preston, Yvette, and Antron|
|Birth Place||Hamburg, Arkansas. U.S|
|Spouses||Late Karen McCollum (1988-1990), Larsa Younan|
|Endorsements||Coca-Cola, McDonald’s, Visa and Frito-Lay|
|Profession||Retired NBA Player|
|Net Worth||$18 million – $20 million|
Scottie Pippen alongside Michael Jordan led the Chicago Bulls to a stunning six NBA titles. In 1996, he was tagged one of the NBA’s 50 all-time greatest players.
In this post, we will take a look at Scottie Pippen’s life, his bio, family, career, net worth, and his college days.
Scottie Pippen’s Birth and Overview
Pippen, born Scottie Maurice Pippen was born in Hamburg, Arkansas on the 25th of September 1965. He was born to Ethel and Preston Pippen. Pippen being the 12th child and youngest of his parent was actively involved in both basketball and football as a kid.
During his days at Hamburg High School, he produced good results leading his team to the state playoffs. This was accompanied by several conference honors. Sadly, with his stunning performance, no college was willing to offer him a basketball scholarship. This which he later found out was due to his stature as of that time.
At his coach’s request, Pippen was offered a notable position at the University of Central Arkansas as a student manager of its basketball team. Never considering his limitations, Pippen never lost hope and for four seasons, he waited until his stature was befitting that of other top NCCA players. During his senior season run at the University of Central Arkansas, he had a stunning performance, averaging 23.6 points and 10.2 rebounds per game.
In this section, we will take a look at Scottie Pippen’s career which spans from when he started his career at Central Arkansas till his induction into the Basketball Hall of Fame.
- Chicago Bulls; with Pippen’s exceptional abilities, he was quite the pick for scouts in NBA. In early 1987, the NBA draft, he was selected by the Seattle Supersonics as a 5th After a few games, he was transferred to Chicago Bulls where he was drafted and given the chance to play alongside Michael Jordan. Even with his unique set of skills, he didn’t blossom until early 1989. He helped turn the Chicago Bulls which were seemingly in the bottom rungs to playoff contenders. In 1991, Jordan and Scottie led the Chicago Bulls the 1st of 3 consecutive NBA titles. This which they did by defeating the Los Angeles Lakers and their player Magic Johnson in the finals. In the span of seven seasons, Chicago Bulls continued their streak winning 6 of the 7 championships. Jordan served in the limelight as the one who brought success, but Pippen on the other hand with his scoring and defensive abilities was also of high importance to the Bulls.
- The Dream Team; just like the name, the team was composed of players that could only be brought together by imagination. The team made a team of Pippen, Larry Bird, Jordan, and other great NBA stars in a showdown in the 1992 Olympics. The club which was on a marooning run claimed gold medals in 1996 in Atlanta, Barcelona, and Spain. At this point, Pippen has only won the Gold medal twice. This made a big name for him and in this same year, he was tagged one of the 50 NBA’s greatest players.
- Houston Rockets and Portland Trailblazers; after a short ride at the Houston Rockets and Portland Trailblazers, Pippen decided to go back to his roots: Chicago Bulls in the 2003 and 2004 season which were also his last in the NBA.
He had a long ride which lasted 17 years. It was recorded that most of his major achievements were at the Chicago Bulls. He has acquired several honors such as being a 7-time All-Stars and 8th on the NBA’s Defensive Team. It’s popularly known that his jersey was retired for him because of his achievements. In 2010, Pippen was named amongst the Basketball Hall Of Fame.
Scottie’s Wife and Children
Scottie has a rather private life. Sharing little to no information about himself. But it’s widely known that he has been married twice. This not being because he was interested in doing so, but due to the loss of his late wife Karen McCollum. He married his second wife, Larsa Younan about 7 years after his previous wife died. He is blessed with 7 kids namely Scotty Jr, Sierra, Sophia, Justin, Preston, Yvette, and Antron. Pippen who now lives peacefully with his family in Florida is enjoying his life after retirement.
It is often said that Pippen is one of the most underpaid players in the NBA. This might have been a bit true during the early years of his career at Bulls. Sometimes in the early 1990s, he signed a contract worth $18 million which spanned over 7 years. This was deemed unfair by his fans as they argued that it was considerably small in contrast to the likes of Michael Jordan. Proven by analysts, Pippen never made much money during his career; both when he was a player and by endorsements.
Even though he doesn’t have much money like every other basketball player of his time, he never allowed that to stand in the way of his humane deeds. It was once recorded that Pippen took part in a charity event organized for and by military personnel. The event themed “The Express Your Thanks ” which was held in 2012, where Pippen promised to help them raise funds. Aside from doing it for humanitarian purposes, Pippen seized the moment and paid tribute to his father who once served in the military.
However, Pippen’s net worth is estimated to be $20 million.
Scottie Maurice Pippen’s Achievements
Pippen’s achievements are so widely known by several basketball lovers as he is known as a legend when it comes to the game. Aside from being known as a legend, Pippen has set several records and has won honors to his name by playing with other great players of his time which were also deemed legends. The following is the list of Pippen’s major achievements which shows why he is such an esteemed member of the NBA.
- NBA Championship: Pippen who has been graced with several honors is well known for his support to his team’s victory in diverse championship finals. This which spanned between 1991–1993, 1996–1998 reaching 6 titles. This happened because Pippen was vital to the team’s run.
- NBA All-Star and Game MVP: His astonishing performance didn’t only benefit his team. It did benefit him as he was given the MVP for one of the most prestigious games in basketball history; the NBA All-star game. In all, he won the NBA All-star between 1990, 1992–1997 and the MVP in 1994. Summing all All-star related honors to 7.
- All-NBA First Team: During his career, he was listed amongst All-NBA’s First Team. He was listed in this elite team 3 consecutive times due to his tremendous hard work and zest between 1994 and 1996.
- NBA All-Defensive First Team: One of Pippen’s strong suits is his defensive ability. It’s of little surprise that he is listed amongst this category of people. Pippen has earned this title 8 different times between 1992–1999.
- NBA steals leader: Pippen in the whole of his career has only won this once, and in the year 1995.
In the quest to know how good any player is, numbers are of vital importance. In this section’ we’ll be looking at Scottie’s statistics throughout his career.
According to recent statistics updated by the NBA, in his 17 years long and productive years, Pippen has won a whopping 18,940 points under his sleeves, averaging about 16.3 points per game. Furthermore, his rebounds are nonetheless as vital as his points, reaching 7, 494 and averaging 6.4 rebounds per game. Also, he contributed to many points scored by his teammates summing up to 6, 135 and averaging approximately 5.6 assists per game.
General Overview Of Scottie’s Retirement
After retiring from a 17 years long career, many will be wondering “What has Pippen been up to?” In this section, we will delve a little bit into Pippen’s life after retirement.
After retiring, Pippen has mostly kept to himself as he has now relocated to Florida with his family. Shortly after his retirement, he was invited to work as an analyst at the Chicago Bulls where he once played. Not quite long after this too, ESPN and ABC also offered him the same position, to work as an analyst. In addition, he has previously worked as a special assistant at the Los Angeles Lakers and the Chicago Bulls.