Coffin nails have become very popular in recent years. However, the fashion in the field is very changing. Even so, the fact that this year we can wear them too and still be trendy is a pleasant surprise. This type of manicure looks better on long nails, since the tips should be elongated and square. However, this nail shape makes any manicure look gorgeous, no matter what color or style you choose.
As it follows, we will better explain everything about this type of nails, the various styles you can try with them, as well as how to shape your nails like this at home. In addition, we have prepared more than 130 nail designs suited for this manicure type. In other words, you will find out everything you need to know about ballerina nails in this article.
1. Highly decorated red coffin nails with patterns and stones
2. Matte black nail polish combined with two accent nails
3. Opaque nails achieved with gradient colors and mandala patterns
4. Nude nails embellished with pink flowers on accent nail
5. Monochrome nails that match the woman’s lipstick color
6. Ballerina nails done in gray and animal print accents
7. Mosaic nails achieved with natural colors and gold foil
8. Coffin nails fully covered in golden glitter
9. Gradient nails go from transparent to yellow tips
10. Perfectly groomed nude nails styled in the shape of a coffin
Main Characteristics of Coffin Nails Aka Ballerina Nails
The time when wide nails or short to medium nails were trendy are gone. The obvious favorites now are long nails, as well as pointy tips. However, it seems like the nail industry is still not prepared for radical changes. By this we mean that fashionistas had to find a middle ground between the square shape of the nail and the triangle shape. In addition, they also had to find a solution for women who want to have long tips, but not the type that looks too extravagant. So, in this way, coffin nails were born.
The name given for this particular shape of nails is not at all dark. Even if they are called coffin nails, they do not refer to anything related to that but the shape itself. One fun fact about this nail style is that it is also called ballerina. This is because of the shape of the nail itself. If you think about it, it resembles the shape of the shoes worn by ballerinas. The latter are called pointe shoes.
11. Shorter nails featuring a Christmas theme
12. Simple white nails made more interesting with a sparkling accent
13. Full on shininess achieved on coffin-shaped nails
14. Amazing nude to gray gradient with the addition of nail accessories
15. V-shaped patterns and rhinestones attached to white nails
16. Flawless matte, dark green ballerina shoes nails
17. Sunflower design done on long nails
18. Pearl pink nail polish combined with glitter glaze
19. Tiny bow glued on ballerina nails makes a cute ornament
20. Long coffin nails painted in a very bold color
Particularities of the Pointe Shoes Shape
The shape of the pointe shoes that ballerinas wear is the exact shape of this nail style. More specifically, it is a combination of two shapes, namely square, almond and stiletto. So far, there is nothing new. However, what makes these nails special is the straight, perpendicular line with clear angles along the edges. In other words, we are talking about the shape of a diamond, with cut corners.
In their development stages, ballerina nails went through several transformations. They range from classic to avant-garde designs. In this regard, the nail industry is ready to offer fashionistas many interesting varieties of the coffin nails. Among these varieties we can count long length manicure, that can go as far as looking Gothic, as well as more delicate and feminine lengths. The latter are characterized by softer edges and pastel color coatings.
21. Matte dark red nails without imperfections
22. Pearly shade of pink looks excellent on long, nicely shaped nails
23. Nails that have a decoration theme, namely Mickey Mouse
24. Nude manicure goes well with this nail shape
25. Holographic nails stand out with this type of manicure
26. Ballerina manicure done with matte Laura G nail polish
27. Defined nail shape adorned with pastel pink
28. Shiny white glaze applied professionally on long nails
29. Pearly is the keyword for this particular manicure
30. The accent nails made the entire manicure more interesting and stylish
Are Ballerina Nails Suited for You?
Coffin nails, despite their less graceful name, are considered quite bold and shocking. They are associated with independent and purposeful women. Moreover, they are best combined with formal suits, rather than romantic dresses. However, a well-chosen design will make it possible for you to get a rather delicate version out of this strict geometric shape, suitable even for a bride.
This particular nail shape can be called universal. This is because it suits everyone. Its shape adapts well to various natural plates, various shapes and hand sizes. So, do not be afraid that such a design will catastrophically not suit you. After all, if you take into account the length and shape of your fingers, the color of your skin and other particularities of your hands, the pointe variation can correctly result into a small manicure masterpiece.
Interesting Fact: The first to promote this trend to the masses were the famous pop diva Rihanna, and the outrageous queens Kim Kardashian and Kylie Jenner. It was them, who look nothing like ballerinas, who became the faces of this nail shape.
31. Chrome V-shaped tips used to design a chrome manicure
32. Cheerful nail design done in contrasting colors
33. A combination of mosaic nails, nude nails and glitter nails
34. Transparent nails are the divas of this manicure type
35. Transparent nails with white geometric patterns stand out
36. Girly ballerina nails feature pale pink and glitter
37. Mosaic nails combined with chrome nails work excellent for this manicure type
38. Coffin shaped transparent nails amaze with their design
39. This manicure type features different designs for each nail
40. A combination of nail decorations, matte glaze and shiny lacquer
Bending the Rules for Everyone to Get Coffin Nails
Initially, this type of manicure had strict rules:
- Ballerina nails were only done with the help of nail extensions;
- Their length was only from medium to long;
- The pointe shoes shape had straight lines and clearly defined angles at the tips;
With their increasing popularity, however, this style became less edgy and accepted a number of changes. As a result, the following variations appeared:
- Coffin nails can be done from natural nails. The only requirement would be for them to be strong enough in order to be shaped like this;
- However, if your natural nails don’t grow long and they are not strong enough for this shape, you can still try it on short nails;
- One of this season’s changes would be the soft angles. Even so, there is a fine line between oval nails and ballerina nails;
41. Glitter and rhinestones make this short manicure really stand out
42. Gold and nude nails are a combination you can’t fail with
43. Mosaic and decorate nails look best on a longer manicure
44. Pastel colors combined with glitter for a romantic manicure
45. Beige is a neutral shade used for every nail shape
46. Ballerina nail long enough for a realistic rose design to fit in
47. Shimmery nail polishes confer the impression of galaxy nails
48. Short ballerina nails decorated with a funny pineapple
49. Fully transparent manicure relies on the afferent decorations
50. Studded accent nail completes a fancy manicure
Step by Step Nail Shaping as a Coffin
Despite of how complicated coffin nails are to achieve in theory, they are quite simple in execution. Of course, there are differences between shaping natural nails and those achieved with the help of artificial plates.
The Coffin Shape Done on Natural Nails
First, you need to decide how to proceed when cutting your nails in this shape. Everything should be simple here. This is because you already know that this shape is a combination between a square and a triangle. Accordingly, you need to use a nail file and a nail clipper, choosing the most convenient way for yourself.
Method 1: It is necessary to determine the length of your ballerina nails. Next, cut off all the tips in a straight line. Then, you have to use a nail file to grind down the sides of your nails. This must be done at an angle of 45 degrees.
Method 2: You can start the other way around, by first using a nail file to shape the sides of your nails. Next, you have to just cut the tips equally, in a straight line.
As for the execution of this nail shape on short nails, you’ll be surprised that it is even simpler. However, in this case, you should be extra careful when cutting the tips. In other words, you must be careful not to cut the tips too narrow. Otherwise, they will look funny, just like a chopped-off triangle. At the same time, you shouldn’t leave them too wide either. This is because the whole effect of the ballerina’s pointe shoes will disappear and your nails will most likely resemble the shape of a square.
51. Pearly nuance of pale pink applied on even coffin nails
52. Nude nail colors highlight a perfect nail shape
53. Black, nude and white is a wide-used color palette
54. Turquoise and glitter nail design idea for edgy nails
55. Really long acrylic nails painted in a nude color
56. Gradient nails hue goes from skin to white
The Pointe Shoes Shape Achieved on Artificial Nails
It is widely believed that nails in the form of a coffin look better on artificial plates. This is because such shape requires the nail plates to feature a certain degree of strength. Luckily, you can have your nails done with artificial materials. In fact, your nails will look more elegant and more natural with this technique.
The technology for creating the ballerina shape on artificial nails is not fundamentally different from that in case of natural nails. The only difference is when you begin to shape the nail. So, the artificial material must first be fixed on the nail. Next, the shaping process begins. In order to speed up the process in case of artificial materials, it would be best to use a coarse-grained nail file. Then, you should fix the result by softly polishing the edges.
57. Complex decorative designs drawn on a long, white coffin nail
58. Army style can be reproduced on nails too
59. Finished manicure in a nude shade for simplicity
60. Winter themed nails feature matte purple and drawings done in white
61. Shiny coffin nails look like coffins
62. Dark nails embellished with multicolored glaze
63. Manicure idea presents white and mosaic nail patterns
64. White, nude and gold is an infallible combination
65. Glitter, roses and a chrome nail applied on coffin shaped nails
66. Romantic and girly manicure done on ballerina pointe shoes shaped nails
67. Medium long manicure highlighted by matte polish for nails
68. Nautical tattoo matched with bright baby blue nails
69. Extravagant nail design featuring all different nails
70. Elegance and distinction starts with your nails
Design Variations for Coffin Nails
- Nude golden nails are the perfect combination of extravagance and elegance. Nude matte colors are very nicely complemented by glossy gold shades. This combination emphasizes the ballerina nails.
- Green mint is the color of summer. So, any combination with it is welcome. Next to nude shades, you will create an energetic and feminine manicure.
- The marble design has a special effect on ballerina nails as well. Even if it seems difficult to do, it is not, and your nails technician will definitely know how to do them. But given the space required to do the marble effect, it only goes on long nails.
- Matte nails are characterized by a truly magical finish. Put a lighter color on the tip of the nail and create an elongation effect that compliments your newly shaped nails.
- Counterbalance a glossy chrome nail polish with matte glaze. The result will be wonderful. The chrome colors will draw attention to your nails, which will be elegant and trendy.
- Ballerina nails are perfect for French manicure variations. You can opt for purple, which is a mysterious and regal color. Thus, you will get a seductive and feminine manicure.
- Holographic manicure is a fairly new trend that you should try, especially if you have ballerina nails. The holographic pigments reflect light in all colors of the rainbow, giving a superb effect. Also, this type of nail optically lengthens the nail, so your nails will look even longer than they actually are.
- No other nail shape looks so harmonious and cool with rhinestones. You can use decorative stones that cover all the nails, but it is advisable to only cover one or two nails. These are called accent nails.
71. Classic manicure embellished with a glitter nail
72. Coffin nails can be matched with your shoes
More Design Ideas for Your Newly Shaped Nails
- You can decorate your nails with various patterns and drawings. However, the most effective option right now is geometric painting. This is because clear lines perfectly emphasize the spectacular geometry of the nail.
- One of the trends of this season is the stained-glass nail. This one adapts perfectly to the diamond shape of your nails. The most important thing, however, is for your nails to be clear and straight. A fantasy stained glass nail with curved edges will visually deform its shape.
- Another option would be painting your nails in the aquarium technique. Naturally, such design is only possible on fake nails.
- For beginners in nail art, you can use stencils or nail stickers. They will allow you to create a delicate beautiful pattern with a wide variety of motifs.
- A white base provides the perfect canvas for your nail design. You can show off your skills and imagination by creating the abstract design of your dreams. Floral motifs are especially popular, as well as adding decorative details in the form of Swarovski crystals, gold or silver spraying. However, monochrome snow-white nails are no less charming.
- Red is a color that is always associated with passion and energy. Long ballerina nails are perfect for such bright colors. The latter will emphasize your manicure and determination. Choose from many shades of red (from orange to burgundy) depending on the season, event or your mood.
- Painting your coffin nails black will make them look Gothic. If that’s what you’re after, then it’s just fine. You can, however, make them prettier by diluting them with light patterns and other decorative elements.
- Geometry on nails has become a real hit. It is better to decorate one or two fingers with geometric patterns and leave the rest painted with plain glaze.
Follow These Rules for a Healthy Manicure
As it follows, we will present a few hygiene rules that will help you maintain the health of your nails and hands. Regardless of the shape of your nails, these rules apply in every situation. So, let’s find out which are the main guidelines.
73. A few golden strips for nails make a big difference
74. Glitter and white nail polish were used to create patterns
75. Silver foils as well as glitter create nice effects
76. Paint each nail differently if you’re looking for diversity
77. Ballerina shoes called pointe shoes are shaped like these nails
78. Another combination between mosaic and chrome effects
79. Try this manicure if you can’t decide between shiny and matte
80. Properly cut nails in the shape of a coffin
Hygiene Considerations for Your Fingernails
- Don’t bite and / or eat your nails. Biting your fingernails is usually very harmful to your nails. This is because it gives them a carefree look and softens them excessively.
- Wear rubber gloves when cleaning. The reasons why you should wear rubber gloves when cleaning is that cleaning solutions contain toxic substances that affect both your skin and nails.
- Do not wash your hands too often. Although it may seem strange, excessive hand washing favors a damp environment. Thus, nails tend to get thinner and exfoliate.
- Wear gloves during the winter. Low temperatures affect the structure of the nails and lead to exfoliation. So, wearing gloves is the best idea. However, if you chose to flaunt really long nails, buy larger gloves.
- Apply sunscreen on your hands. Why is applying sunscreen important? Because the sun rays have negative effects not only on your skin, but also on your nails.
81. There’s plenty of room for decorations on coffin shaped nails
82. The fascination of matte colors comes in every possible shade
83. Glittery tips compliment a shiny, white manicure style
84. Black and matte nails are close to looking like stiletto nails
85. Excellent gradient nails done in dark red and black
86. Highlight your nails with a bright color like this one
87. Medium long nails groomed properly and polished with a nude shade
88. Very pointy nails look similar to stiletto nails
89. Really long fingernails painted with pink glitter lacquer
90. Special effects are more likely to be created on long nails
91. White and rhinestones can make you feel like an Ice Queen
92. Thin, black lines are an excellent addition to monochrome nails
93. Striking visual impact shows transparent acrylic nails without glaze on
94. Ballerina nails look edgy in dark, matte colors
More Hygiene Tips for Your Fingernails
- Don’t forget to take your vitamins. In this regard, you should know that the white punctures that appear on your nails announce the lack of vitamins in your body. More specifically, we are talking about lack of calcium.
- Massage your cuticles. Massaging your cuticles with moisturizing creams is important because they should be protected and in no case cut.
- Always carry a nail file with you. Carrying a nail file with you at all times is recommended. This is because it’s not okay to leave a broken nail unfixed. The crack with get worse.
- Consume a lot of protein. Proteins are essential for the health of your nails and for strengthening them.
- Take care of your skin after washing your hands. A healthy and hydrated skin means healthy and hydrated nails.
95. The realism of the roses is simply striking
96. Boring gray nails rescued by a glittery accent nail
97. Copper is the central color of this manicure style
98. Vertical nail designs make the nail appear longer
99. Everything about this long manicure is shining
100. Color combination ideas for this nail shape
101. Ombre nails done with similar colors
102. This is how nude coffin nails look like
103. Especially shiny manicure combined shades of blue and purple
104. Holiday nails suited for the Christmas period of the year
105. Pretentious nail designs are available for everyone
106. The simplest way to highlight a clean manicure
107. Nails that shine bright like fire and diamonds
108. Impeccable application of red wine nail lacquer
109. Nail design idea for the cold holiday season
110. Professional manicure done on coffin acrylic nails
111. Add a touch of elegance to your nails with this design
112. Pointy ballerina nails ornamented with rhinestones
Are You in Love With Coffin Nails Yet?
After looking at so many coffin nails designs, as well as learning so much about their shape and execution technique, you should be in love! If this is your case, then you will be glad to know there are more ballerina nails designs waiting for you in this article! In case you’ve found your favorite one already, then look no further!
We encourage you to pick your favorite ones and share your preferences with us in the comments below! Or, do you have any nail designs ideas suited for this nail shape? If your answer is affirmative, then share them with us!
113. Nails type suited for ballerinas as well
114. Chrome nails or holographic nails for daring women
115. Coffin nails actually decorated like coffins with golden stickers
116. Classic French manicure performed on coffin shaped nails
117. Rose gold chrome effect shines very bright
118. Galaxy nails covered fully in purple and glitter
119. Mosaic nails stand out among matte colored nails
120. Monochrome ballerina manicure done on long nails
121. Match the color of your nails with your favorite purse
122. Simple black manicure for properly groomed fingernails
123. Pink, fuchsia, as well as diamond effect on nails
124. Nails that look like the sky at night
125. Refinement can start with such a manicure type
126. Work with pink and silver glitter to obtain this effect
127. Chrome nail polish changes color depending on light
128. Olive green is a very bold choice in color for your nails
129. A studded nail is all you need for this type of manicure
130. Glitter used more or less for each nail
131. Simple ballerina nails done in natural colors
132. White nails must be kept looking flawless at all times
More Coffin Nails Designs
We leave you with a few more ballerina nails designs. They are especially suited for everyday life and for women with girly tastes in particular.
133. Going nude for your nails is always a good idea
134. This nude purple shade is very fashionable at the moment
135. Pearly shades of white are recommended as well
136. A few sparkles is all you need for your nude nails
137. Pink glitter goes with pink nude nails