How to Make Butter Chicken in Microwave
India’s most “loved” dish….one that you just wouldn’t be able to say NO to (well, if you’re a non-vegetarian!)….thick, creamy, divine gravy….buttery naan to go along with it…. Yummy-licious! You know you can’t resist this one- BUTTER CHICKEN!!!
Here’s a fairly simple way of cooking it using the microwave, a lot less messy and the great part is that it gives you an option to have an additional SNACK with the same preparation. Now how great is THAT! I totally love it…my friends and family love it….I can guarantee- so will you!
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking: 20-25 minutes
- One (1) chicken (medium sized), about 900 grams- cut the chicken into 12 pieces.
1st marination paste
- Two (2) tablespoons of vinegar (you could also use lemon juice)
- Half (½) tablespoon salt (or to taste)
- One (1) tablespoon red chili powder
- Two (2) tablespoons of oil
2nd marination paste
- Half (½) cup yogurt (dahi)
- Two (2) tablespoons of creamy and thick malai (cream)
- Two (2) tablespoons of ginger and garlic paste
- One-fourth (¼) tablespoon of kala namak (black salt)
- Two (2) tablespoons of tandoori masala
- One and a half (11/2) tablespoon salt
- Two (2) tablespoons of oil
- Four (4) tablespoons of corn flour
- Take one (1) inch piece of ginger and about ten (10) pods of garlic. Chop and keep in a bowl.
- One-fourth (¼) cup of kaju (cashew nuts)
- Two (2) cups of tomato puree. You could use home-made puree or even buy ready-made puree from the market.
- One (1) tablespoon of garam masala
- Half (1/2) tablespoon salt
- One-fourth (1/4) tablespoon of sugar, or to taste
- 2-3 tablespoons of oil
- Half (1/2) tablespoon of chili powder
- Two (2) tablespoons of melted butter
- Half (1/2) a cup of milk
- One-fourth (1/4) cup or a little more of creamy, thick cream. You could use home-made whisked cream or opt for the ready-made cream.
- The chicken pieces need to be prepared exactly the same as the “chicken Tikka” pieces. (Using the two above mentioned marination and then cooked).
- Take garlic, ginger and cashew nuts and grind all three into a fine paste using a mixer-grinder. You can add a little water to the paste so it is not lumpy.
- Take a deep dish/bowl (microwave) and put the paste in it. Now add the tomato puree in the dish along with all the masala’s (chili powder, garam masala, salt, and sugar), butter and oil.
- Cover this dish/bowl and microwave for about 7-8 minutes.
- Once this is done, add approximately one (1) cup of water to the dish and mix it well. Now put it back into the microwave for about 5 minutes. (Make sure you always cover the dish when you microwave). It is recommended that you stir once in-between.
- Next, take the cooked chicken pieces (that you have earlier prepared) and add them into this gravy.
- Cover the bowl and microwave for another 3-4 minutes.
- Take the bowl out and let it cool down till it is time to serve the dish.
- At serving time, add the milk and microwave (uncovered this time) for about two (2) minutes.
- Next, add cream and serve hot!
*Milligai Thokku (Green Chilli Chutney) or Pudina Ki Chutney (Mint Chutney) goes very well with this dish.