Steeped in history, Moscow is a well known city on the banks of river Moskva in European Russia. The capital is an architectural wonder nesting famous buildings like the Saint Basil’s Cathedral and other grand Tsarist architecture. Truly a Mecca for history lovers and for people who are interested in art and culture, Moscow is, in many ways, different from Western Europe. Though Moscow is safe for tourists, it is still advisable to opt for a Moscow group tours to be on the safer side and also for a pleasant travel experience.
Although there are endless reasons to visit Russia, here are the 5 main ones to plan a holiday there soon:
- Art and Architecture – For art lovers, Moscow holds a place of high esteem, credit to its many art galleries, design displays and historical paintings. With its unique style and originality, the city is filled with magnificent domes and architectural splendor, which is why the Kremlin and Red Square are thronged by tourists from all over the world. These continue to be the pride of Russia till date and are looked upon in admiration, not only by tourists but also by its citizens.
You can visit the following places:
- Ivan the Great Bell Tower: situated in Kremlin and it serves as one of the great symbols of the influence of Italy on some of the construction in the country. The tower has close to 34 bells with each telling a story.
- Ostankino Tower: a TV and radio broadcasting tower with a height of over 540m. It is the 8th tallest building in the world. There are two platforms for viewing both indoors and outdoors.
- Beautiful Churches – Russian churches are brightly coloured and have onion shaped domes, thus giving them a fairytale-like Out of the many orthodox churches in Russia, the significant ones are St. Basil’s Cathedral, the Kremlin’s Cathedral Square, Church of St. John the Warrior, Christ the Savior Cathedral, Novodevichy Convent to name a few.
You can visit the following places:
- Saint Sophia Church: located on Baltchug Island, it has wall paintings drawn by Count Komarowski. It has a Russian-Byzantine style thanks to architect Nikolay Kozlovsky. The orthodox church is no different from its Kremlin counterparts. Originally, the church was mainly used for laboratory and housing purposes.
- Dormition Cathedral: the oldest building in Moscow is located at the Kremlin. Built between the years of 1475-1479, it was one of the major temple of the state of Russia. It has a lot of Italian influence due to the architect Aristotle Fioravanti.
- History – This remarkable city has witnessed some major events in history such as political upheavals, wars and the rise and fall of several historical giants. The Red Square has thus become a place of interest to historians and people all over the world. Lenin’s Tomb, Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, the Russian State Library, Victory Park, Cold war Bunker, etc are places worth visiting for history buffs.
- Moscow’s Metro – Spread over 206 stations, the metro in Moscow looks like a huge museum. It is a living example of efficiency and great engineering work. Stations like Kievskaya, Komsomolskaya, Arbatskaya, etc. are an architectural paradise that deserves a tribute.
- Shopping – Shopaholics are sure to fall in love with the two popular shopping centers in Moscow – the Gum and the Tsum. From expensive brands, antique pieces and arty collectibles, the options are endless. The flea markets like Evropiesky and Okhotnyryad are bustling with buyers since they offer a wide variety of trendy items at affordable prices.
What to Pack On Your Holiday to Moscow?
If Moscow has been set as your preferred location for your holiday, ensure you have the following essentials with you:
- Russian visa: to prevent immigration troubles
- Travel Insurance: to ensure you are protected
- Russian Rubles: to take care of expenses
- Money belt: to secure your money
- Duffel bag: to hold all essentials for easy exploring
With its beautiful landscape and breathtaking views, Moscow remains one of the most attractive tourist destinations. Therefore a visit to Moscow for all the above reasons should top the charts in one’s bucket list. To experience the grandeur of the picturesque city, it’s best to hire the best travel planner who will intricately work out the best itinerary depending on your taste and suitability to give you the holiday of a lifetime. So get packing now and book your Moscow holiday!